21 Sep 2020
Tech-focussed investment bank ICON Corporate Finance has brought together some of the world’s brightest minds in FinTech and investment to provide a masterclass on how to successfully raise investment globally, this coming Wednesday.
The free webinar brings together an expert panel of global giants who will provide the inside track on how to pitch for investment - through a bank, Venture Capital group, or Corporate Venture Capital (CVC).
Covering Series A and Series B rounds, the webinar will touch on Growth Metrics, Term Sheets and the art of selling strategic relevance.
Moderated by Monica Shupkai-Simmons, Director at ICON, the event takes place on Wednesday 23 September 2020, from 3pm-4pm.
Among the lineup is serial FinTech entrepreneur Nigel Verdon. Having successfully raised $14.4m of investment capital for Railsbank in 2016 from the US, Europe and Asia, and $160m in ten rounds of funding for Currency Cloud, Nigel offers a pedigree of funding success matched by few others.
“Many things have changed in the years that I’ve been founding and running FinTech businesses, but there are also a few constants – a laser focus on your customers and the importance of a clear go to market strategy,” says Nigel. “Placing a big focus on the key metrics that investors care about, both in your decks and your own thinking as a company, will also serve you really well, as will learning your pitch without a presentation. And remember never to share your deck before you meet a potential investor, even if asked.”
Nigel will be joined by:
- Guillaume Tellez of JP Morgan Strategic Investments. Guillaume, who focuses on sourcing and executing J.P. Morgan’s strategic investments, believes that banks bring different skills: “Banks deliver more than just capital, they provide access to expertise and commercial relationships which eventually create tangible and practical value for the companies we invest in.”
- Varun Purandare of Accel Ventures, which works with tech start-ups in seed, early and growth-stage investments, and has backed some of the most exciting companies in the world, including Facebook, Dropbox, and Spotify.
The panel also includes:
- Maayan Levy, Principal at Viola FinTech, a cross-stage venture fund which sources investment opportunities for the future Winners of FinTech. Having backed the world’s largest peer-to-peer invoice platform, MarketInvoice, Maayan brings a fascinating perspective to pitches that work and those that fail.
- Niresh Rajah, who will be providing the retail banking viewpoint. Niresh held senior roles at Barclays and Lloyds Bank, and has also acted as a Board Advisor for RegTech, DataTech and FinTech companies.
- Completing the line-up is Joanna Monaghan of UK law firm Burges Salmon. Joanna, director in the firm’s Corporate Finance team, brings broad experience of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity and corporate restructuring, working with clients across a range of sectors including financial services.
Commenting on the event Monica Shupkai Simmons, Director at ICON, said: “By giving access to some of the giants in the world of FinTech who have either gone through the process of raising investment themselves, or are in the privileged position to be providing the funding that can change the fortunes of businesses, we hope to provide a once on a lifetime opportunity to learn from the best in the business.”
ICON believes that digital transformation across all industry sectors has become the most pressing priority for organisations in the aftermath of Covid-19. ICON predicts this will drive future growth, investment in and appetite for acquisition of tech companies worldwide.
From offices in London, Bristol and San Francisco, ICON’s multi-lingual teams have brought clients access to deals across Europe, Africa, the US and Asia. Working with global tech companies and as a fundraising partner with top private equity, venture capital and CVCs, ICON works with some of the world’s most successful companies.
To register for the free webinar entitled Get Funded: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly – Pitching for Investment visit the events page of the website or link to the webinar registration here